HOTA, Home of the Arts.
Surrounded by parklands and a lake with Surfers Paradise as the backdrop, Home of the Arts is your place for live performances, lake-side strolls, star-gazing, cinema-watching, art and new-ideas. There’s a unique outdoor stage for live events and a refreshed cafe for relaxing and connecting. Plus, all your favourites, like our cinemas, theatres and gallery.
Discover art—indoors and out. HOTA is that kind of place—where art meets life.
HOTA’s brand-spanking new outdoor stage is like no other. It’s at the heart of HOTA and will be a magnet for world-class artists. We believe in community, conversation and creativity, so when we’re not presenting amazing live performances, we’ll bring the parklands alive. Experience dance or yoga on the green, parkrun around the lake and our popular Sunday farmer’s markets, all in one place.
HOTA is the home for all things creative. A home that brings people together where ideas are transformed into real life experiences. A place where art makes the world a better place.
Our future is bright
We’re building momentum for a richer, deeper arts and culture experience for the Gold Coast. There’s so much more to come at HOTA, Home of the Arts. hota.com.au
The Technical Services Department is charged with the responsibility for:
- Working with City of Gold Coast to ensure that the day to day operations of the precinct are delivered at the highest level. This includes overseeing all theatre services, technical maintenance, technical capital works, and WH&S operations.
- Ensuring that all technical facilities, resources and requirements within HOTA meet both client and company expectations while adhering to all relevant standards, codes, legislation and policies and procedures, with an emphasis on WH&S compliance.
- To ensure the organisation of in-house and off premise technical requirements meet the standards and expectations of clients and Home of the Arts management in relation to client liaison, contracts and technical services.
- Contribute to the day to day operations of the Technical Services Department.
- Operate theatre counterweight fly systems
- Load in/out theatre productions
- Supervise theatre productions
- Installation and operation of rigging infrastructure
- Construction and painting of set pieces
- Undertake regular maintenance tasks
- EWP and forklift operation
- Actively participate and contribute to the technical team within the Technical Services Department
WORKPLACE HEALTH AND SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Take reasonable care for your own health and safety;
- Take reasonable care that your conduct does not adversely affect the health and safety of others;
- Comply, so far as you are reasonably able to, with instructions given for WHS;
- Cooperate with reasonable WHS policies or procedures that have been notified to you.
- Assist venue hirers and clients achieve their required standard of performance
- Assist with the bump in/out of scenery and equipment
- Carry out staging and mechanical tasks including set construction, painting and operation of counterweight flying system.
- Provide support to the Senior Technician (staging), Head Technician (Staging) and the Technical Operations Manager
- Assist with and carry out maintenance of technical equipment and aiding external technical contractors if required.
- Keep all work areas clean and safe.
- Deliver high standard of customer service and effective communication.
Note: An employee may be directed to carry out such duties as are within the limits of the employee’s skill, competence and training.
The position requires the incumbent to perform ‘hands on’ operation of technical equipment. The incumbent will be able to demonstrate experience in:
- Basic construction
- Professional theatre operations
- Basic Stage Management
- Knowledge of Workplace Health & Safety as applicable to this position;
- Achievement of Year 12 certificate or equivalent.
- Test and tag license would be an advantage.
- LR license would be an advantage
- Open C class driver’s license
- First aid certificate.
- Restricted electrical training and/or qualifications would be an advantage.
- Blue Card (Working with Children Check)
- White Card (Construction Induction)
- EWPA yellow card
- Forklift license
- Current Police check
- Riggers license (basic rigging license is a minimum requirement)
This role requires the incumbent to perform physical tasks some of which are listed below. In addition to the task list there is also an inherent requirement to grip, climb, bend, squat, stand, lift, carry, push, pull, walk, twist, reach and use fine motor skills
|Task||Overall physical demand rating||Guide for maximum demand|
|Rigging (lighting/ audio)||Heavy||25 – 50 Kg|
|Flying||Heavy||25 – 50 Kg|
|Setting Up stage||Heavy||25 – 50 Kg|
|Transporting Equipment||Heavy||25 – 50 Kg|
|Loading/ Unloading Trucks||Very Heavy||Over 50 Kg|
- Copies of the above listed Qualifications / Licences / Certificates, where held by the candidate, are required as evidence on appointment.
Enquiries in relation to this position should be directed to:
Mr Leo Gortz
Technical Operations Manager
People and Culture