Casual Technician (Stage Manager)
HOTA, Home of the Arts.
Surrounded by parklands and a lake with Surfers Paradise as the backdrop, Home of the Arts is your place for live performances, lake-side strolls, star-gazing, cinema-watching, art and new-ideas. There’s a unique outdoor stage for live events and a refreshed cafe for relaxing and connecting. Plus, all your favourites, like our cinemas, theatres and gallery.
Discover art—indoors and out. HOTA is that kind of place—where art meets life.
HOTA’s brand-spanking new outdoor stage is like no other. It’s at the heart of HOTA and will be a magnet for world-class artists. We believe in community, conversation and creativity, so when we’re not presenting amazing live performances, we’ll bring the parklands alive. Experience dance or yoga on the green, parkrun around the lake and our popular Sunday farmer’s markets, all in one place.
HOTA is the home for all things creative. A home that brings people together where ideas are transformed into real life experiences. A place where art makes the world a better place.
Our future is bright
We’re building momentum for a richer, deeper arts and culture experience for the Gold Coast. There’s so much more to come at HOTA, Home of the Arts. hota.com.au
The Technical Services Department is charged with the responsibility for:
- Working with City of Gold Coast to ensure that the day to day operations of the precinct are delivered at the highest level. This includes overseeing all theatre services, technical maintenance, technical capital works, and WH&S operations.
- Ensuring that all technical facilities, resources and requirements within HOTA meet both client and company expectations while adhering to all relevant standards, codes, legislation and policies and procedures, with an emphasis on WH&S compliance.
- To ensure the organisation of in-house and off premise technical requirements meet the standards and expectations of clients and Home of the Arts management in relation to client liaison, contracts and technical services.
WORKPLACE HEALTH AND SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Take reasonable care for your own health and safety;
- Take reasonable care that your conduct does not adversely affect the health and safety of others;
- Comply, so far as you are reasonably able to, with instructions given for WHS;
- Cooperate with reasonable WHS policies or procedures that have been notified to you.
- Scheduling and running rehearsals
- Communicating key production information to key stakeholders
- Coordinating the work of the stage crew
- Calling cues and actors’ entrances during performance
- Overseeing the entire show each time it is performed
Note: An employee may be directed to carry out such duties as are within the limits of the employee’s skill, competence and training.
The position requires the incumbent to perform a diverse range of technical, operational and event management functions. The incumbent will be able to demonstrate experience in:
- Experience in amateur and professional theatre productions.
- Strong leadership qualities with an ability to assert control in a dynamic environment
- Strong administrative skills
- Multitasker capable of organising several intersecting activities at once
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience in counterweight fly systems
- Knowledge of Workplace Health & Safety and EEO Issues, Duties & Responsibilities as applicable to this position.
- Achievement of Year 12 certificate or equivalent.
- Audio Visual systems training and/or qualifications would be an advantage.
- Experience in largescale theatrical productions or other live events
- Current driver’s license.
- First aid certificate.
- Blue Card (mandatory)
- EWPA yellow Card
- Current Police Check
This role requires the incumbent to perform physical tasks some of which are an inherent requirement of the role to grip, climb, bend, squat, stand, lift, carry, push, pull, walk, twist, reach and use fine motor skills
- Copies of the above listed Qualifications / Licences / Certificates, where held by the candidate, are required as evidence on appointment.
Enquiries in relation to this position should be directed to:
Mr Leo Gortz
Technical Operations Manager
People and Culture