Established in 1982, the JMC Academy is one of Australia’s leading Creative Industry providers, offering higher education qualifications in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney.
We are currently undergoing an exciting period of development at JMC, and are looking to fill the role of Head of Department in Audio Engineering and Sound Production for our Melbourne campus to assist in this process.
As Head of Department you are responsible for academic leadership, student retention, curriculum development and quality delivery of the Bachelor of Creative Technology (Audio Engineering and Sound Production) and Diploma of Audio Engineering and Sound Production. Most importantly, you will be inspired by working with JMC Academy students and seeing them succeed.
· Providing academic leadership to academic staff in the Audio Engineering and Sound Production department
· Maintaining a high level of academic integrity amongst your staff and students
· Effectively and efficiently managing the delivery of the audio engineering and sound production programs
· Seeking and obtaining opportunities for students to develop their industry networks, including internships and/or volunteering
· Working with your Head of Department peers on the Melbourne campus to increase opportunities for audio students to work on multi-disciplinary projects, as required of the curriculum and as extra-curricular activities
· Collaborating with your Head of Department peers on the Brisbane and Sydney campuses to review curriculum, moderate assessments, and introduce teaching and learning and/or technological innovations into the programs
· Continuously improving the quality of delivery of the audio engineering and sound production programs, including
• Monitoring student satisfaction with their learning experiences
• Recruiting, mentoring and supervising academic and studio staff
• Consulting and collaborating with your peers and Campus Manager in Melbourne, and your colleagues in Brisbane and Sydney to make positive changes as required
· Leading by example to promote the benefit of scholarship and professional development
· Administrative duties as necessary to ensure sound conduct of the business of your department
· Representing JMC Academy positively in all your dealings
Two positions report directly to the Head of Department, and are key to the delivery of the audio engineering and sound production programs:
• The 2IC for Audio Engineering and Sound Production
• The Studio Manager
You report to your Campus Manager on day-to-day operational matters, and to the Director of Education (based in Sydney) on academic matters.
Key selection criteria
· Master’s Degree or higher in audio engineering and sound production, or closely related field of study
· Skills and experience:
· Minimum of 10 years’ experience in audio engineering and sound production
· High level knowledge of and experience in a specific field (for example: live, studio, and/or electronic music production)
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Working as an academic in a tertiary environment (lecturer, curriculum development)
· Ability to work in a close knit team environment
· Well organised with excellent time management skills, and able to work with minimal supervision
You will be productive, constructive, creative and a critical thinker, embracing of ambiguity and change, always seeking the best experiences for your students and your staff.
Applications addressing the selection criteria are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include a brief cover letter, your CV and a two page (maximum) response addressing the key selection criteria by COB Friday, December 21th 2018.
If asked to attend an interview, you will be given ample time to discuss in more detail your suitability for this role, and to provide your references. You will be required to undergo a police check and a working with children check should your application proceed.
JMC Academy is an equal opportunity employer, and welcomes applications from all suitability qualified and experienced people.