Merrigong Theatre Company is a not for profit company which operates Wollongong’s premier performing arts venues, Illawarra Performing Arts Centre and the Wollongong Town Hall. The company also commissions, produces, presents and tours professional theatre.
This position is required to work with the technical team to ensure the delivery of all technical aspects pertaining to the use of the stage, with a particular focus on staging, fly tower operation and safety. To realise staging requirements for Merrigong productions and incoming hirer events.
The successful candidate for the role will need to show a high level of initiative, strong communication skills and relevant industry knowledge and experience. They will also contribute to a positive team and work culture.
Merrigong encourages applications from diverse backgrounds including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds and people with disabilities.
The position will require the candidate to undertake the following tasks.
• To work with the Production and Technical Manager to ensure that the company’s technical department is running safely and professionally at the highest possible standard, and that all staff understand and adhere to company policies and procedures.
• To liaise with incoming production companies as required and provide a high level of customer service to users of the centre. To create documentation to effectively communicate plans and schedules to your colleagues and venue users.
• To ensure the efficient use of company time by casual employees in the Technical Department and to participate in meetings as required.
• To assist venue hirers to realise their technical needs within the limits of the venues capabilities.
• Be able to input and retrieve data from the event management system, reconcile timesheets and hirer reconciliations, finalise estimates for upcoming shows.
• To safely and efficiently set-up, maintain and operate basic stage lighting, audio and visual equipment and stage machinery.
• Participate in, and lead where necessary, the bump-in and bump-out of productions and events.
• To act as Duty Technician when required.
• To assist with in-house production requirements.
• To lead event crew on the floor to realise the requirements of productions.
• To keep accurate records, complete production reports and report on back of house operations on a show by show basis.
• Maintain the Company’s technical equipment with particular focus on Staging.
• To assist with the training and induction of volunteers and casual staff, as well as the induction of any visiting companies.
• Be able to competently support your colleagues in other areas by gaining a working knowledge of their equipment and processes.
• To assist in and coordinate, the maintenance of technical equipment and fixtures under the control of Merrigong Theatre Company in consultation with other members of the Technical Department, the Facilities Coordinator and the Production and Technical Manager.
• To contribute to asset management planning and capital infrastructure expenditure planning. Be responsible for the continuing improvement of all staging equipment resources.
FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO APPLY PLEASE GO TO OUR WEBSITE www.merrigong.com.au
Applications close: 5 pm Monday 22 January 2018